Saturday, September 26, 2026

Adirondack Rail Trail Tupper Lake to Lake Placid

 Wednesday Morning sept 24th

I woke up after 6, but stayed in bed until 7a.m. so I didn't wake the neighbors.    They didn't keep me up, so I wanted to be respectful and not make any noise before 7.

At 7a.m., I did the walk of shame to the bathroom.   Remembering to lock the truck first and I threw my tablet and phone into the safe in the back of the truck before going to the bathroom.   I feel like it's those "I'll only be gone a minute" moments where you get robbed.   

Anyhoo, at the bathroom, I dumped my 1.25 gallon/4.7liter  waste water jug down the toilet and did my business.    I have a large funnel for the jug so after doing dishes I dump the dirty water into that, and if needed I empty my 1 liter pee jug into the bigger jug to avoid an extra trip to the bathroom.    I usually only have to dump the big jug once a day, pretty convenient.    Camping is easier for guys in that respect.  Sorry ladies.    I don't have to walk into the woods or to the bathroom every time I need to pee.  Nice!

 For breakfast, as mentioned in the previous blog,  I reheated some peanut protein oatmeal, and drank a protein shake.    Then it was time to add the bags to the bike and ride up rt 30 to the rail trail from the campground.

 Following the route on my bike computer it was 6-7 miles up rt 30 before I could get on the rail trail, but rt 30 is marked as a bike route per NYS.   Thankfully it wasn't too long for the temps to get above 50F/10C so I could start taking layers off, but it was chilly when i started.   I had my wool cycling cap that covers my ears and has a short brim to keep the sun out of my eyes, and I brought my cold weather, full fingered biking gloves too.

 It wasn't full leaf season yet, but close to peak.   The leaves along the trail were pretty. so many old farts out biking though.    Like a lot.

The ratio was easily 10:1    over 50 somethings vs 20-30 year olds .     Normally when I go biking, it's the opposite of that.

I have to admit, I find rail trails kind of boring after awhile.    The quiet is nice, but rail trails are flat,  straight, and there were a ton of other riders.   Still, the scenery was nice.   I have so many photos of pretty lakes and ponds I didn't take any shots of that.     Just a few interesting trail shots.    I took a couple shots of the olympics buildings in Lake Placid too, because there's an ironman Rouvy route I ride on my indoor bike trainer that goes by those buildings; fun to see them in person. 

 I got a beer and burger in Lake Placid.    I did have to bike up a steep hill or two to get to the little brewpub to get to downtown Lake Placid, but it was worth the effort for better food options.    I also liked the lane markers on the lake in town.   For scull racing I'm guessing; you'll have to enlarge the photo see the markers I bet.

 






 Some of the bridges were impressive on the rail trail too.     Snowmobilers pay for it all.  I bet at some point they'll have to charge bikers too.   Seems fair.

 After getting back to my truck camper at Fish Creek, I had the same evening routine I described in my previous blog, but before dinner and starting a campfire, I biked down to the showers while wearing my ugly bright green crocs.   Got a few odd looks but more smiles.   Life is more fun when you stop caring what other people think.

 

Thursday... 

Slept better.

I was quicker getting ready to make sure I had enough time to bike to the Wild Center in Tupper Lake to meet my parents and older sister.     I left at 8:30 almost an hour earlier than the day before. 

In the morning it was foggy on rt 30, but cleared up after getting away from the ponds.   On Rt30 and Rt3, it was about 10 miles to get to the big i at the bottom of the map.  Took me about an hour.   The I is the Wild Center at Tupper Lake.

 



After my sister and I saw all the Trolls at the Wild Center, I biked over to Raquette River Brewing, while my sister went off to find my parents to drive them over.     They'd only need 5 minutes to drive over, but I needed at least 20 minutes to bike, so I needed the head start.   We timed it well.   I got there before them, ordered a beer, and I sat for maybe 5 minutes at most before they arrived.   We had a nice lunch together, said our goodbyes, and I biked to the nearby rail trail back to Fish Creek Ponds Campground.   

On the map above, the red/white trail is the rail trail, looping back to Fish Creek 

 Sadly you do have to go a little out of the way to get back to the campground, there's no way to cut across the water when you get far enough North.   C'est La Vie.   More biking, not complaining!   But it did add another 6 miles of road biking.      I only did 36 miles total Thursday.   16 on the trail, 20 on the road.

 Having done all the rail trail, I will say the first day's ride was more scenic, and had more food options.   So if you don't have time to do it all.  I'd recommend just doing between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid if time is limited.    

Plenty of food options along the way, I can see why it's so popular with people.   Very safe to ride, good road crossings.    Very little road noise most of the ride.

Photos from day 2  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts