Maybe I'm running out of things to blog about, but it's been a busy day meal prepping and packing up the truck for our annual Boothbay trip, and I wanted to document for my future senile self.
Things I like about my loading up process.
I've sewed enough bags now that I've updated my packing spreadsheet to be bag oriented. It helps me find/organize things, and hopefully not forget anything (sigh, I always forget something it seems)
I don't bring my SLR camera anymore or my guitar stuff. I should play the guitar more.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EMRER_9mdKDaswb2-IlNHSyCiIuh7yE0Cs0XPGFxpe4/edit?usp=sharing
The thing I don't like so much about the day before we leave, is all the meal prepping I do. But it pays dividends for relaxing once we're at the cabin. I will hardly have to cook anything. Maybe pancakes/oatmeal. That's it.
The Not so Fun stuff today.
Meal prepping
- mex beans, black bean patty recipe
- hummus, hummus
- america's test kitchen mac salad (with Carbe Diem elbow pasta)
- Scarpaccia, https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/scarpaccia-italian-zucchini-tart-recipe
- and I did all the marinade steps of this Tofu Tikka Masala recipe, it's vac sealed now, and I'll cook it at the cabin at some point. https://rainbowplantlife.com/tofu-tikka-masala/
- this recipe is a lot of steps and it probably pushed me over the edge a little today, but at the cabin, I'll be glad I did it.
- Disclaimer, I press my tofu, I don't like her boil technique.
- I use two clamping tofu presses, like these https://a.co/d/0dz0oPOG
- I slice the tofu block so it's half as thick, like opening a book in the middle. each thinner slice goes into their own press naked. Tighten until the press bends slightly. Stand press on edge in a large cooking sheet, so the water can drain easier. I use a rimmed cookie sheet because I like to see how much water comes out
- loosen press, remove tofu block, cover it with a half sheet of paper towel, and then fold a dish towel half over and wrap tofu block like a book cover/jacket. Slide the covered tofu block back into the press for a 2nd press
- after 10-15 minutes, remove, unwrap, and the block is firm and DRY!!!
Also on the Not Fun list.
I did a crap ton of dishes with all the cooking. Between cooking and dishes, I was easily in the kitchen for 4+ hours working today.
I also cleaned out the fridge (garbage) and took care of the compost bucket. I did so much cooking, I just brought the compost 7gallon bucket inside (it has an airtight screw top lid). It was already half full, and I filled it right up today. Lots of onion and garlic peeling and cutting.
I also made sushi for lunch today. The avocados were slightly past ripe, so needed to use them up.
Made sure I loaded up my phone and tablet with downloaded movies, music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc. Cell reception is good at the cabin, but it's better to just take care of it. I also check my bike computer and pre-load routes for that too.
Yesterday, I mowed the lawn. I sometimes leave that last minute too. Getting smarter? who knows?
Finally...Packing the Truck.
I loaded the truck up as much as possible today. There are just 3 small duffel bags remaining and 1 large tote bag to haul out tomorrow morning, and I'll need to swap out the frozen water bottles in the cooler. Not everything fits in the Dometic electric fridge, so I also bring my old igloo, full size cooler. I put condiments and stuff that doesn't need as much refrigeration in the cooler. I keep a few 1 liter size seltzer bottles 3/4 filled with water in our home's freezer; I'm using them to keep the stuff in the cooler cold tonight.
All the meal prep stuff I made today fits in the truck's electric fridge.
I've got the surfski on the roof rack. I only strap it around the middle and lock it with a cable lock to one of the roof rack bars. I leave the bungee straps that secure the kayak to the roof rack saddles on the driver seat, so I don't forget to throw them on before leaving. I like to minimize the time the bungees are in use, and minimize their UV time outside. They're holding up great. Babying them works. Nice and springy still.
I have the rear hitch bike rack on the back, and the bike strapped and locked on.
The plan is to get up at the crack, before 7a.m., normal for me lately. I'll make and drink my morning protein smoothie, then hit the road.
It's a 3-3.5 hour drive depending on traffic. I'll drive right to the kayak launch near the botanical gardens and paddle around Barters Island. Official check-in time at our cabin is 3p.m., so I try not to show up early.
On the drive up, I'll stop in Brunswick and get some potato flour based donuts from , https://www.theholydonut.com/ I get a half dozen usually, and Jacqui and I work on them during the week. They're big, heavy and calorie dense. I bet eating half a donut is still like 300-400 calories easy. Jacqui and I split them all so we can enjoy more flavors that way. The maple bacon one was amaze-balls.
I'm also looking forward to beer and pizza at Boothbay Craft Brewery. We go there a couple times while we there. Usually just split a small pizza and get a beer each. Nothing crazy. I'm craving wings, will splurge on them too. There's also an ice cream place we like in town.
Before I indulge this week....ironically, I had my lowest weigh-in today since I started my health kick last year. 215.8 !!!
Which means (drumroll please!!!) I'm officially >60lbs lighter than when I went to Boothbay last year (I was 276 something last year per my weighing spreadsheet archive). I think the lowest I've ever weighed during all the years I've gone to Boothbay was upper 240's. I'll be curious how much more fun the kayaking/biking may be with a lighter load.
Biking up the short steep hills of coastal Maine will be so much easier than last year. I think I'll try the longer Merrymeeting bay loop this time, weather permitting. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14929180 It's 45 miles with 1800ft of climbing. Good food options in Bath. I was too chicken to try it last year.
Last year I did a shorter 27mile loop with 900ft of climbing and I was wiped by the end. My butt was sore too. I had a different seat and suspension post back then that I could never make comfortable. The ride I just did a few days ago on Sunday from Wakely Dam to the Stewart's in Indian Lake was 28miles with 2400 ft of climbing, and I felt like I was goofing off, like I was on a joy ride. Things have definitely changed for the better. I'm still not fast, but the climbing is way easier, and I have the bike fit dialed in. Just a couple days ago, i had my fastest time ever on my favorite 11 mile loop. a whopping 13mph. Definitely slow. I normally bike around 11-12mph.
This year, I'm leaving the weight scale at home. I don't really pig out anymore, even when indulging, and I'll be plenty busy kayaking and biking a lot. I don't really care if I gain a couple pounds to be honest.
Beyond the number I see on the scale lately, the packing spreadsheet I linked at the beginning of this blog showed me a lot of change too. It has a 2nd worksheet I use for planning meals and snacks. I had to completely overhaul it this year because my diet's changed so much since last year (for the better from a doctor's POV). It just surprised me to see all the meals I don't really eat anymore. Heck I used to think of sushi as my "healthy" meal. It's a cheat day, splurge meal for a lot of people.

No comments:
Post a Comment