Monday, August 31, 2026

VTXL 2026 ride links

I'm super happy I did the VTXL, but I don't think I'll do it again.   Other places to see, other rides to do.   The next one might be the Vermont Gravel Growler.   It's a loop you start near Burlington, you stay at Bed & Breakfasts, and it hits a dozen breweries on the loop. 

I really enjoyed the wild camping on the VTXL.   No hotels or B&B's, just 2 nights at a state park, and wild camping the rest.   Food options were limited but doable.    The VTXL was almost night and day different from the Erie Canal ride I did last year.    I was either climbing or bombing downhill on the VTXL, and food stops were 1-2 times a day at most.   The Erie was non-stop flat and dozens of food options during the day.    Just funny that I accidentally went from one of the easiest bike tours to one of the hardest (for week long trips).

No regrets, I feel super happy to have done a personal bucket list item.   And it's made the hard work of going from 291.6lbs June 2025 to my current weigh-in of 214.6 even more satisfying to me.    The climbing was hard enough at 214.   I just weighed in at home post ride at 213.3, and I ate as much as possible at the food stops.    Remembering the climbing will keep me motivated to stay lean.

With a few small tweaks, I think I can bike cross country next year.   time to start planning. 

VTXL planning 

VTXL Day 0 Truck travel and truck camping with Jacqui at Brighton State Park 

VTXL Day 1 bike ride from Canaan VT back to Brighton State Park

VTXL Day 2 Island Pond to Danville Covered Bridge camp  

Day 2 VTXL evening camp at Greenbanks Hollow Covered Bridge

Day 3 morning Covered Bridge 

VTXL Day 3 Danville to Chelsea, West Topsham General Store  

Day 3 Campsite after Chelsea 

Day 4 Sharon Trading Post rage baiting nutjob encounter, swimming

 Day 4 night camp site screwup 

 Day 5 lake swim, South Londonderry food, climb to Green Mountains

Day 5 worst camp spot of trip, my fault

 Day 6 ride back to Mass 

 Day 6 State Border Stone Marker and Jacqui meetup 

 

Review of Gear I used.  Things to keep, replace, fix, or leave at home

 

Started at the green arrow, ended at the red square

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts