Sunday, August 30, 2026

vtxl pros cons gear to improve

So when this VTXL ride is over, I like to do a concise (for me)  review of my trip's gear.  What I loved, what gear I need to change.   Stuff I didn't need.   Anything I wish I brought

Things I need to replace to lower the weight of my bike and gear. 

  • An Enlightened equipment or outdoor vitals Rain jacket would save half a pound.    I also need smaller, lighter goretex pants too, which would save weight.   
  • The double wall stainless steel food container I brought weighed 13.5 ounces empty!   Not worth the weight at all, I'll replace with a small used peanut butter jar.
    • I brought the insulated stainless jar with the idea of saving warm/cold food for dinner at camp later.   But food stops were often a half day earlier or more.  
  • no more bluetooth keyboards, they break too easy while bike touring
  • more fitted long pants for cycling that are ventilated
  • if a new phone also has satellite messaging leave garmin inreach gadget at home 
  • leave my sleeping earbuds at home, didn't use/need them  

Things I wish I'd had

  • the single ear muff hearing protector for sleeping
  • a selfie stick tripod for the camera for photos/videos. 
  • my cycling windbreaker vest with mesh back (will see what it weighs).    Perfect for cold downhill runs, but prevents getting too hot on long uphill climbs during cold mornings
  • metamucil?    I was burning an extra 3,000 calories per day.  So pizza, burgers, fried chicken will be needed.  I need a way to get fiber when bike touring. 

Things I liked

  • my bike!  the new seat and suspension post were awesome!   (new vs the Erie Canal trip)
  • bringing my protein powder mix really helped soothe my muscles.   A scoop with water before bed and again with breakfast.
  • my uv arm sleeves.   worked well in the morning.    
  • the front rack with nano panniers.   might do a different front rack truck bag
  • the crazy creek longback ground chair.   comfy spot to sit, snack, and monitor the water filter
  • the tent on the handlebar cradle, don't change it
  • the rear rack  bag system. Awesome!
  • carrying the long tent poles on the rear rack worked well  
  • the ursack kevlar bag kept critters out of my food.   A smaller one would be nice 
  • the cnoc bag, sawyer squeeze water filter and backflush syringe
  • the Shokz open fit 2 earbuds.   great for music on quiet backroads and useful for voice to text writing 
  • my Sleep setup, the air mattress, usb air pump, pillow and quilt
  • the 20,000 mah battery bank
    • but once a week, I'll have to stay at a hotel to charge it overnight.   all portable batteries take 5-8 hours to charge via usb C.     
  • my little red plug usb wall charger for quick charging phone/bike computer at convenience store stops.

 Things to buy, fix, or make

  • The second one liter bottle doesn't work on the downtube holder I have.  It squeezes the bottle too much leaking 1/3rd of the water out of the screw on top     
  • get a dictation app that works offline or a new phone with the functionality built in.
  • chop up ridewithgps routes into 2-3 days at most.
  • fix garmin edge 1040 barometer port or replace it 
    • buy a new weather cover for garmin edge if barometer is fixed. 
    • get a new one if it stays broken
  • orange crocs for better visibility with drivers coming up behind. 
  • lighter rain jacket and pants 
  • smaller kevlar food bag? 
  • make a new fanny pack with lighter fabric 
  • metamucil or similar fiber powder.    
    • my idea of bringing beans to cook for fiber won't work.  I need too many calories when biking all day 
  • bring 2 long usb c cords for using the wall charger,  not 1 long, 1 short 
  • the ear muff, make an elastic band to keep on head when sleeping, integrate with eye mask? 

Things that were just ok
 
  • the Kindle.   nice to have, but could I just live with my phone?    Saves phone battery a lot though. depends on how much time I want to spend pedaling each day I guess.    I like reading when wild camping, keeps me off the phone saving its battery
  • my spd bike shoes/pedals.   I think I was getting numb feet.   improve it 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts